Sunday, November 22, 2009

Tripping over Bill Clinton at the Wailing Wall

 
 
 
 


Last week, I saw Bill Clinton at the Wailing Wall plaza in Jerusalem. We had been in line to go up to the Temple Mount area above the Wailing Wall and they shut it down while we were still in line. Whispers came through the line that Bill Clinton was visiting the Dome of the Rock. My friends and I were really excited and started looking around and started seeing Secret Service and Isreali police and began to figure out where he would be coming down from the Temple Mount. The plaza was really quiet and there weren't very many people there. I think that for security reasons the visit was unexpected and unannounced. We were about 15 feet away when he came out, and we followed his circle of security people into the plaza area. I was wearing a hat, so I continued to follow him down to the Wailing Wall, where he wrote out a prayer and stuck it in the wall. He then went up to the entrance to where the Western Wall tunnels are. He was in there for about 20 minutes and then came out and left in his motorcade. I was within about 5 feet of him at one point and he turned and gave a big wave to the crowd and I think we made eye contact (can you ever be sure of anything with Bill?). Pretty interesting day. We were definitely in the right place at the right time.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment