Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Bethlehem

 
 
 
 

A few days ago, we visited Bethlehem which for me was my first glimpse of the Occupied Territories of Palestine. We looked at the Seperation Barrier that keeps Palestinians from entering Israel and subjects Palestinians to humiliating checkpoints. The wall has become a canvas of expression, and the pictures show some of my favorite messages written on the wall. We heard from a Christian Fatah leader, who has been the leader of the Al-Aqsa Martyr brigades during the 2nd Intifada. He has since embraced non-violence and is intrumental on setting up demonstrations and turning the Bethlehem community against violence. We also heard from a refugee organization, who has been working for Refugee rights in Palestine. The right of return for displaced Palestinians has been one of the greatest hangups at teh negotiating table and has been withheld by Israel. They refuse to allow refugees to return to their homes. We also visited a refugee camp, which was very sad. We saw old women who still held the key to their house that they had been evicted from by Israeli soldiers. They still hold on to hope that one day they will be able to return to their homes, but I see a sad reality that denies Palestinians this right. The children were especially sad to see. We played soccer with them, knowing that they were growing up without a recognized identity, in a city surrounded by walls, and a hopeless economy.

Seeing the walls of Bethelehem, my feelings were kind of mixed. I can understand the security reasons, with the terrorism several years ago. But the walls are so restrictive, they completely surround the city and box them in and their citizens are subjects to humiliating checkpoints. With no room to expand, the housing rates in the city have skyrocketed, leading to housing problems and poverty. In the refugee camp, its just so sad how little people get lost in the shuffle of global politics. But in all of thius I have been discovering a little bit more of what I want to do with my life. Coming into the trip, I thought that I might want to work in the Non Governmental Organization world, helping people that I could see face to face. But lately I have been coming to the idea that i want to work for the American government to change it and shape American foreign policy to help people. I mean working for a little NGO is really good and grassroots and necessary. I love that work, but i dont think that it is for me. We need good Christian people working at the top of the government too, and it cannot be written off. The American Govt is easily the most influential and powerful force in the world today, with one stroke of a pen, millions of lives can be changed. That is my arena. I want to be researching and advising and changing minds at the top. That is how i want to tear down walls and help the Bethlehem's of the world. But i know that working for the American government will require me to moderate my viewpoints a little and accept a lot of the frustrations of bureacracy and having to accept the American government opinion and spit out the party line even when i dont believe it. But if I can change just a few little things in the greatest foreign policy machine, a serious impact could be felt for people like poor Palestinians.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment